Sunday, November 13, 2005

Dubai

Dubai, U.A.E., June 2005

Teaching in Dubai is a fascinating experience. Everyone I know was terrified for me when they first found out I was coming here. It is an Islamic country, after all, and somewhat close to Iraq. In actuality, Dubai is one of the safest places I've ever been. It's especially safe for women. For example, if a man looks at you too long, you can have him arrested. It's not a low tolerance place, it's a no tolerance place.

Most of my students are Iranians. Parents in Iran send their teenagers to Dubai before they turn 18 to keep them from being drafted. To be able to go to university, these students have to pass the English proficiency test known as the TOEFL. Classes are intensive (3 hours/4 days a week) or super-intensive (5 hours/5 days a week), and each session lasts a month. Of course, there are Arabic people, as well as Russians, Morrocans, Koreans ... let's face it, Dubai is more of a melting pot than the U.S.

Everyone I meet is extremely nice and generous. I'd stay here if it wasn't for the heat. It has gotten up to 140F (60C) in the sun. I only live 3 blocks from the school, but I was only able to walk to work during the month of May. One of my students bought me an umbrella to guard against the sun the other day. Fortunately, taxis are very inexpensive.

My coworkers are from the U.S. (of course,it's an American school), Canada, and England. My roommate is from New Zealand. I have a great rapport with them all. They are all extremely intelligent and sophisticated people with a great sense of humour.

I've learned so much from the different cultures and ideas. People are just people no matter where they're from. They are all trying to live and prosper; to make a difference. The one point I cannnot emphasize strongly enough is the fact that the "terrorists" we've all heard so much about, are not students of Islam. I have met true muslim people who follow the teachings of Islam daily. They talk to me quite a bit about Islam (for my education, not conversion.) Islam is all about love and acceptance, not death and destruction. They are distressed beyond words that these people who propagate terror and hate should call themselves Muslim.





The Jumeirah Mosque is a gorgeous structure. In order to demystify Islam and to promote good will, the sheik (shake, not sheek) has opened it up for non-muslim tours. No one has endeavored to convert me to Islam, I am just given information on the history and belief system.





Gold is very inexpensive in Dubai. The Gold Souk (market) is beyond belief. This is just one shop window out of hundreds. The gold looks almost fake, because the color is so yellow. Usually, jewelry is sold in 'sets' of a ring, bracelet, necklace, and earrings. I also saw dishware and figures crafted out of solid gold.



Camels roam freely. The majority belong to the sheik. Camel racing is a popular sport in winter and spring, but it is much too hot in the summer.

No comments: